Friday 26 August 2011

Excitement and Impulse - The journey of a Tea Cupper

Some people collect coins, some collect bugs; some collect Pokemon cards and others just collect dust, but when it comes to me, I’ll search high and low for the most pretty of antique tea cups and saucers.

So today when my friend (and boss), Lesley suggested we begin our Friday Fun Day with breakfast at one of her favourite cafés, Chapels on Whatley, which just happened to serve tea in AND SELL antique tea cups, I almost lost my shit.

To my pure delight (never mind the paranoia felt by my credit card) not only was our English Breakfast served in a beautiful, quaint tea cup and saucer (coupled with a mismatched creamer and sugar bowl), but we were sat next to an open wooden shelf, filled with heavenly Wedgwood and Royal Doulton Tea Sets. Suffice to say my friends, the rest is history. I left this darling new café with a full belly, a weary credit card, a spectacular addition to my tea cup collection and a glittering smile!

Until an hour later when I strolled into David Jones.... A store I KNEW had 30% of the price of the brand I'd just so willingly handed over my 'life savings' for (only because I had been seen ogling a set of pretty little ice cream bowls just one day earlier!)

So once again, even through years of making the same mistake, my excitement and impulsiveness prevailed and my otherwise very practical brain is left but only to mourn the loss of 30%.

Until.....said brain put it’s practicality into play (finally) and within seconds twisted this otherwise dire predicament into the justification (that looking back on seemed only natural) and purchase of another addition to my collection! This time, with 30% off. Well done brain finally, you cotton on, took you long enough.



Chapels on Whatley

No comments: