Wednesday 24 August 2011

9 till when?

When you grow up thinking your going to be a pony, to be told by your Year One teacher, Mrs Wilkinson that you cannot ever be a pony (I never said it was a long lived dream), you know your career is heading down an unknown path and your just skipping haphazardly along it.

After spending 5+ years in tertiary education you would think I would come out of it with more than a thorough knowledge of how to create 62 dishes from a packet of two minute noodles (no mean feat), a general idea of anatomy (very general) and a caffeine addiction. Somehow I expected to breeze through uni quite glamorously, not unlike a slightly less hierarchical episode of Gossip Girl. There I was naively thinking that regardless of what I studied (a decision made whilst in a drunken post-exam haze, two days after the application form was already due), I would come out the other end feeling intellectual, accomplished, full of ideas and passionate about where I was heading. WRONG!

After completing a degree, working in retail, changing study paths, completing a Masters and obtaining a job based on said qualifications, you would think I was well and truly sure of what I was doing and why. Yet I am left with a yearning that I should have thrown caution to the wind and “wasted” a few more years of my youth traveling around Europe like the other 50% of Gen Y, before following my passions. But is there really a career out there where I can take advantage of my ability to knit one kind of stitch in a straight line, love puppies and bake a mean carrot cupcake? If so, my cover letter is enthusiastically filled out and in the post, complete with pretty recycled stationary and hand made stamps… In the mean time I will continue with the humdrum of the coffee fueled nine to five – at least it got me the white picket fence xx


1 comment:

NIcole said...

And what a lovely picket fence it is