Thursday 1 December 2011

Advent Calendars- hanging out for December

As children, waking up on the first of December signified the start of something exciting. First sight of the Advent Calendar in the hallway and we knew.... Christmas was just around the corner!

Not only were my brother and I lucky to receive chocolate calendars from our 'Mormor' (Mum's mum) sent all the way from Norway, but we also had the delight of reaching into the Santa sack each morning and tearing open a small wrapped goodie leading up to the Grand Finale 'twas Christmas Day. Candy canes, small toys, coloured pens, erasers, sharpeners- just to name a few. We were easily amused and overlooked the fact that half our stationary list for the following school year also doubled as presents.

Mum cross-stitched this calendar by hand and it was put up every year from as early as I can remember. I moved out of home on the 5th of December 2009 and I still received a gift that morning!



I plan to steal this fine work off my Mum when I have children!


Why not put your own spin on the traditional Advent Calendar for your family/partner/workplace and enjoy counting down the sleeps to Christmas. Fill with festive treats, trinkets, tree ornaments, stationary (why not??) or handwritten notes. So sweet. Here is some inspiration









Images courtesy of Pinterest

2 comments:

Nicole D'Adamo said...

I love it Cazzy - Such a lovely tradition!

Caroline Breglia said...

Gotta love Maz and her traditional ways! haha