Wednesday 21 December 2011

4 Sleeps!

4 sleeps until the big day!! Preparations are coming to a close and even the Christmas haters are beginning to join in with excitement! Christmas puddings are at the ready, we're already sick of fruit mince pies and the (pre) midday cider doesn't seem in the least bit naughty, even if you are at work...

So before you crack your next cider and undo the top button of your jeans, take note of my top five Christmas movies; you might need them when you're all preparing to have food babies on Boxing Day...

FIVE

"All I want for Christmas"


This was mine and Tenille's (my little sis) second favourite Christmas movie when we were growing up. We stumbled on it by accident when it was shown on Christmas eve one year and were pleasantly surprised when it continued to be shown every Christmas Eve from then on... Sadly, I haven't seen it in a while, but that MAY have something to do with the Left Bank calling my name most Christmas Eve's since I turned 18... The story is about two New York kids who launch a scheme to get what they want most for Christmas - their parents back together. Cheesy - but much loved by the 7 year old me and my sis.

FOUR

"Off to Grandmothers house we go"


 

Now THIS was our favourite Christmas movie. Considering the Olsen twins are around my age, you can tell how old this movie is! The film follows two naughty (but nice) little girls who decide to hitch a ride to their great grandmothers house, after they overhear their Mum explaining what a handful they were. In typical 90's movies style, the girls find themselves in a bit of a pickle when the van they're in is stolen...It's funny, when I think of this movie I immediately think of a scene where they take a chicken drumstick from home to put in their little 'running away from home pack', what does that tell you!?

THREE

"Dr Seuss' - How The Grinch stole Christmas"



Dr Seuss is the bomb. If you've never seen this movie - do it. It's great fun, especially if you're 25 and still very much into kids movies. The Grinch is a nasty cave dweller, with a heart "two sizes too small", who happens to live on a mountain just north of Whoville, home of the merry Who's. Not understanding the happiness of the Who's, The Grinch plans to deprive them of their Christmas presents and decorations and prevent Christmas from coming!

TWO

"It's a Wonderful Life"


 


I remember this film sitting in our cupboard for years and years before I finally watched it. I wonder now, why on earth I waited that long! I have always been fascinated with old movies and ‘It’s a Wonderful Life’ would not only be one of my favourite Christmas movies, but one of my favourite movies of all. George's dream was to see the world however he repeatedly sacrifices his dreams to help others. The film shows George beginning to take his frustration out on his family and friends which lands him deeply troubled on Christmas Eve. Crashing into a tree during a snow storm, he finds himself staggering onto a bridge, intending the worst..... I will stop there and insist you watch it!
 
 
ONE

"Love Actually"


How could anyone forget this scene? In fact, I'm almost sobbing just thinking about it. A British film following ten separate stories which throughout the film are shown to be cleverly interlinked. A story about love, loss and Christmas...with a bit of singing thrown in too, how could this not be my number 1?!

No comments: