Monday 6 February 2012

February 14

Valentine’s Day - traditionally a day (namely February 14), where lovers express their love for each other by presenting flowers, offering confectionery and sending greeting cards.

Today, nothing but a cheesy gimmick. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those Val Day haters, but I believe love should be expressed all year round, not just on a day where you feel you must.

So, on that note, here is my guide to February 14.


For the couples

A fabulous day to tear your hands off each other and enjoy some ‘alone time’. Once you get home from work; explain your intentions to your partner, pack your beach bag, grab a good book and go lie on your favourite beach for a couple of hours. Enjoy the quiet. Just make sure your favourite beach isn’t one of ‘those’ beaches where the young couples go, or even worse, a nude beach. You don’t want to ruin all your hard work and go home all wanting to get nude and shit.

Just got engaged?

We all know weddings can be expensive and so too can cheesy gimmicky non-holidays like Valentines day, so get off your ‘Ooohhh look at me, I’m back in the Salad Days' high horse, get out of the cheese ball section of the newsagent and get back to your budget planner!

For the single lass

You my friend are the winner of all winners on Valentine’s Day. And before you get all ‘easy for you to say’ on my ass, I’ve been there too. A lot. I’ve done the ‘singles’ valentine’s parties and spent drives home from work hoping there’ll be a bunch of flowers at my front door, not even caring if they were from my Mum - shut up. So be proud of your singledom peeps, embrace it. The year I decided to start the embracing, it was the best damn Valentine’s Day I’d ever had. Paint your nails, give yourself a pedicure and read your Frankie mag in the bath. Once you take the pressure off yourself, it’s just another day.

Married

We’ve all heard the theories of what happens to married couples after a few years…Challenge it!


I hope my cynicism assists in creating a spectacularly uneventful February 14 for you all.

x

No comments: