Friday 30 September 2011

"You can't handle the truth..."

A few years ago, I took it upon myself to ensure 2011 was the year I became a runner. 2011 holds no special qualities or running superstitions, it simply came after 2009 and 2010.

I have always been an exerciser, so I have always been aware of the unspoken 'outside exercising' rules; stay to your left, perform a swift and immediate commando roll upon hearing a bicycle bell and smile at your fellow pedestrians.

I would like to focus on the last point for a moment; Smile at your fellow pedestrians.

As we all know, there is nothing more uplifting then receiving a smile from a stranger (except when it's of the creepy variety). We also know that it really doesn't take much to smile and say good morning/evening (or GOOD EVENING!! If you have headphones on and are unaware that you're shrieking). And the last thing that we ALL know is that we 'ladies' are always and without a doubt, awfully polite.

Well... much to your disgust I am sure, I have to admit something to you all. This isn't easy for me and please know that I am working my hardest to achieve greatness in the area but…I am of the 'avoid eye contact' type, I am.

I don't know why. I certainly have no reason to be and I really get quite upset and often unnecessarily angry (usually holding imaginary confrontations in my head) if the situation is reversed but it's the truth. I put my head down and I run on.

Just last Monday, I was happily running with along with my boyfriend Geordie (who is thankfully aware of my down fall and over compensates for my lack of eye contact) and we ran right past another runner. Geordie – beautifully polite, smiles and says “hey mate!” and the runner just kept running. I found myself so angry that he would be so rude not to reciprocate the politeness that Geordie had so nicely displayed that I turned around and gave him the stink eye. I am shocked at my own behaviour, I really am.

I hate to think of how many people I have upset or offended on my way to becoming a runner and I sincerely apologise if one of them is you, but I am trying to overcome this and with each run, I feel I am getting a teeny bit better.


Be sure to ignore me if you see me running.

1 comment:

Caroline Breglia said...

hahahahaha