Sunday 11 September 2011

Gardening Guide - The Tea Tin Herb Garden

Some of you may have seen one of our very first posts 'Pretty Things', where we posted the idea of planting herbs in old tea tins (courtesy of Apartment Therapy). If not, here they are...

Apartment Therapy
I needed these tins from the moment I saw them and let me tell you, I fought tooth and nail for them on eBay. They finally arrived on Thursday and I was in Bunnings within seconds of it opening on Saturday morning.

Now before I go on, some may think that I am telling you all 'how to suck eggs' (for lack of a better phrase). But I'm not joking when I say I have no idea what I am doing in the garden, so this 'guide to gardening' is for my fellow beginners (suggestions and advice from those more experienced are more than welcome!).

Firsts things first, the shopping list. When two highly excitable people like Geordie and I enter a place like Bunnings, a list is essential for keeping us on course. I would suggest a similar shopping list for your first trip (the strawberry plants and planter barrel were added whilst in Bunnings... once I saw them. That's allowed).


Now get potting. Make yourself comfortable this takes a little while, especially if you're trying to stuff plants and potting mix into tins that are made for holding tea. I would also suggest sitting on something a little comfier than an old milk crate and using a bench that's higher than a kids work bench, but that's beside the point. A cider is a must; this is thirsty work, that's certainly NOT beside the point.

Fill your tins up half way and remove your herbs from their containers. Be sure to break apart the root system a bit before you pop them into the tins. Once it's in the tin, fill the sides up with more potting mix. Make sure your little herbs are up high enough so they look pretty in the tins.

Water. Then water again every day for a few days, then every other day. Follow the same process for the strawberry plants. And voilà!




Now that was easy wasn't it? Stay tuned for ‘The Making Of The Veggie Patch’ (this may be a week or so away as I have many other new house projects to do this weekend which I can’t wait to show you all!)

No comments: