Monday 24 October 2011

Crochet for a Cause

Everytime I pop round to visit my folks, my dear Mum eagerly greets me with a bundle of clippings or pamphlets she's picked up from shops and cafes around Perth. Little snippets for up-and-coming events or fundraisers she hopes I will share with my fellow granddaughters. The one that really caught my eye a few weeks back was a postcard detailing a Crochet Project raising funds for Christchurch, which was rocked so devastatingly by quakes earlier in the year.

After jumping onto their site As far as eye can see I learnt about the two ladies (colleagues & both devoted 'crafternooners') Stephanie Morison and Lorinda Curnow, who originally came up with a little idea to create crochet art. In the wake of the Earthquake disaster their 'little idea' quickly grew into an extraordinary community project that is continuing to raise funds to support a broken city. Twenty two women of different ages and backgrounds lovingly crocheted 500 squares which inevitably came together to form a massive blanket, doubling as a gallery sized art piece. Online viewers are able to pick and donate a virtual crochet square and also bid on the original finished artwork. Funds raised will go to GapFiller, a NZ charity group responsible for the creative urban renewal initiative, which gives artistic-minded people the opportunity to use vacant sites awaiting restoration to bring colour, life and creativity back into Christchurch. The piece in on display at Rodeo (the workplace of this talented duo), 162-168 Gilbert Street Adelaide until October 28th 2011

I'm yet to get my hands on the latest edition of Frankie (#44) , but apparently this clever crochet managed to score a feature article!

The finished artwork

No comments: